Saturday, June 6, 2009

It's good to be back .....though the Gawai mood is still lingering on!

















How should I start? Here it goes. Well folks, we left KG heading towards Debak in Simanggang (known commonly these days as Sri Aman) about 4pm on the 30th of May.

We arrived after 8pm, made various stoppages along the way, first Serian then Lachau for some light refreshments.

We witnessed a very "bad accident" involving 3 cars after 7:30pm about 200 metres away from the Pakit (Army) Camp. The medical officers were seen ferrying the victims in their ambulance...I cant be sure if there was any fatalities involved. I guess their Gawai joy was cut short there and then!

The attitude of the drivers were unpredictable, as if there is no tomorrow. Something must be done to ensure these drivers are aware of the other road users, as the roads are not made exclusively for them!

I dont know if the road safety campaign is a success, judging by the attitude shown from these "kings of the road."

Educate them young I say. I leave it at that for now, folks.

Back to the Gawai Celebrations. This year I noticed so many notable "absentees" especially those that are working outside of Sri Aman.

Nonetheless, it was quite a memorable occasion. Food and drinks still the main course at these kind of gatherings. Swine flu, Nay! It's the Main Course at this longhouse, Penunus in Debak. It has 24 "doors" and the Tuai Rumah is Aya (uncle) Sambang , my adopted father. As usual, it started with the miring ceremony. Back when my grandma helmed the post of a Tuai Rumah, it was more merrier. Old folks have different kind of touch. Nowadays, the feelings are not the same anymore. Too many shortcuts are being used. Folks are slowly doing away with the traditional ways of doing things. Modernization is in, slowly but surely, folks.

Maybe the drinking involving alchohol comtents should be curbed. Somebody mentioned a young person still in higher school died from his drinking bout. That's a really sad episode this Gawai.

Hmm...I guess that's about all I can share with you folks for now. This coming Monday 8th of June, it's Business As Usual for Merekah Fajar & Co.

Overall I say, a memorable Gawai for us. I managed to spend some time with my folks back home. I noticed most have "grown in age" and soon I'll be joining them, as a matter of fact, this month, this June.

We arrived safely in KG on the 3rd of June after 4pm.

Till next Gawai Dayak, "o'hah!" folks!

Posted by Stephen Dass AKA Merekah Fajar

2 comments:

  1. Wow ... ke penundi aku kia suba (2008), balat endar luchak tengah laman kita dia. Diatu udah bisi cement. Manah amai nya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jalai tama pan udah manah, nyau beterudus Kancil "racing" tama hehe...
    Maya ku kia ila, nemuai?

    ReplyDelete